Simple Steps to Getting Started
1. Notify the State of NM (PED-Public Education Department)
a. CAPE-NM is a non-profit organization established to encourage families in their journey of home education in New Mexico. CAPE provides an annual convention in Albuquerque, with dynamic speakers and many curriculum vendors from all over the nation. We also provide you with up to date information of NM law which affects home education in our state. (Click here to join CAPE-NM)
b. HSLDA- Home School Legal Defense Association is a nonprofit advocacy organization established to defend and advance the constitutional right of parents to direct the education of their children and to protect family freedoms. HSLDA advocates on the legal front on behalf of our members in matters which include conflicts with state or local officials over homeschooling.(Click here for HSLDA)
3. Attend a Getting Started Workshop. CAPE provides a free getting started workshop at the annual CAPE Homeschool Convention.
4. Keep Good Records. Click here for pdf of Getting Started Paperwork
5. Purchase Curriculum. CAPE-NM has an annual convention in June with a variety of curricula available for purchase. There are also many websites where homeschool curriculum can be purchased. A sample listing of curriculum can be found here. I’m sure we have left out many wonderful programs. This is designed to give you a start of where you can look and learn what is available.
6. Find a support group. This can be one family or many families that meet together. For information on a group in your area. Contact CAPE-NM at 505-898-8548 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on getting started with a student in Jr. High or High School click here.